Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Drivers – Save £5 Billion – But Be A Boring Driver

British motorists could save more than £250 per year – by changing their driving style to something that’s a little more greener (rather than honing around aggressively, one could say). So-called ‘better’ drivers can slash their fuel consumption by 15 percent, according to the energy saving truste The Trust is offering a £15 one hour course aimed at business drivers. Naturally, driving a little less enthusiastically also reduces emissions, as the engine gets worked less hard than otherwise. I’ve already covered the tips, so I won’t do it again. What I will say though is how much do you enjoy driving?
For me, it’s worth extra cash sometimes to drop a little bit of a heavier right foot. In fact, it makes me a little sick and tired of the current obsession with miles per gallon. I’d go so far as to say that I’d almost certainly never drive a diesel – unless it happens to be an Audi R8 V12 TDI.
Naturally, there’s a caveat here. The caveat is, rather than being concerned over money or emissions – consider the weather at the moment. You’d have to be rather mad to put the pedal to the metal at the moment, given how treacherous conditions are out there. I rectified a small skid on the way home myself…
Of course, if you are interest in being a ‘Galactic Miler’ or whatever they call them, then watch out for the Car Articles Green Car of the Year. Here’s a tip. It won’t be a bloody Prius! It’ll be a ‘proper’ car that won’t have mad airs and graces but will provide a good drive and a good MPG rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment